Today we will learn how to add New category in WordPress blog. A category is a medium for filtering two different subject posts.
Suppose you start a new news website. And start writing content on politics and entertainment. Than Entertainment and Politics both maybe two different subject categories.
Suppose your visitors want to read entertainment posts then they will click on the entertainment category. And all posts from this category will be an infant of them.
This will improve the user experience of your website. Also, the look will be more professional compared to the uncategorized posts.
How To Add New Category in WordPress?
Adding a category is an easy task. You will learn it by once practice.
There are two methods of adding a category to the website.
- Add Category From WordPress Dashboard.
- Add Category Directly From The Edit Post option.
1. How to Add New Category In WordPress From Dashboard
1. This method is very easy and similar to adding a new post. First of all login to your WordPress Dashboard.
2. And click on the posts option in your WordPress dashboard.
It will be further divided into 4 parts:
- All Posts
- Add New
3. Now Click on the Category option.
It will show you two options:
- Add New
4. Now you have to click on Add New button.
5. Now it will ask to add your category name. And also there is some space for adding a description.
- At least enter an Image and write 250 words description about your posts.
- You may describe what kind of topic you are going to describe in this category and what will be your main objectives!
2. How to Add New Category In WordPress Directly From The Post
In this option, you will get a chance to add category directly from the setting option of your post.
Go to the right side of your content and look for categories.
Now click on category option. It shows a dropdown option will be open for you.
Now either you may select an existing category or you may click on the add new button.
When you will click on add new button it will ask to enter the name. Just type the new category name and click enter.
As shown in the image write or assign a new name and click on add new category button. In this way, you will be able to add a new category to your WordPress blog or website.
I hove you understand it clearly. If still, you have any problem then please leave us a comment with your issue. Or you may send us an email for or WhatsApp message for instant solution.
Pro Tips For Adding a new category
Single Word Category is more SEO friendly compared to two or three words.
- Best Offers is not a good category. X
- Offers are a good choice.
- Make Money Online is bad for SEO. While Money is good for SEO. So use Money instead of Make Money Online.
- Add Unique Image and proper description for your category. It will improve the chance for SERP results.
- Add categories to your Main Menu. It will help to understand the subject matter of your website.
- Make backlinks from another website to your category URL instead of your article or post. It will increase the DA and PA of your website.
- Never Delete Your Category Without Redirecting it to New Category. Otherwise, it will show a 404 error. And You will see a significant decrease in your SEO ranking.
Why Category Are So Important?
- Category improves overall website navigation, which is good for SEO.
- The website is made more user-friendly by category.
- We can also get short articles ranked along with the category.
- While using category we can get double traffic like sometimes our category rank better than our content.